IEEE WIECON-ECE organizing team is pleased to announce the 2018 Humanitarian Project Contest Call for proposals with the slogan of innovating for intelligent and sustainable society. Communities are facing social challenges and local problems related to Energy, Water, Safety, Health, Poverty, Illiteracy and Agriculture etc. This Humanitarian Projects Contest is introduced to encourage Young Volunteers to find and implement feasible solutions for problems in a form of a project for the underprivileged community with the emphasis on solving social issues faced by women.
The contest is open to all engineering/science professionals and all secondary/undergraduate/ Graduate Students.
Participants may apply as a team or as an individual – however teamwork would be recommended.
The theme of the Humanitarian Project
The project must be related but not limited to one of these themes:
- Energy: Renewable Energy, Off-grid Energy for Lighting, Cooking and Heating.
- Health: Medical technology, Telemedicine, Mobile Clinics, Primary Care and Nutrition.
- Disaster Management: Disaster Planning and Preparedness; Predictive, Warning and Response Systems; Community Mobilization; Monitoring and Evaluation of Community Response.
- Connectivity & Communication: Communication and Information Technologies, Systems, Apps; Social Media and Its Applications.
- Humanitarian Challenges & Opportunities: Logistics and Transportation; Infrastructure, Information, and Human Security; Shelters; Interagency Coordination; Human-Centered System Design; Participatory Methods and Local Economic Stimulation.
- Water & Sanitation: Clean Water; Sanitation; Solid Waste Management; Disease Vector Control; Drainage and Hygiene.
- Agriculture: Agricultural Technologies, Irrigation and Farming Practices.
- Education: Training and Capacity Building; Programs; Methods and Service Learning.
- Deployment: Scale-up, Distribution, Implementation, and Commercialization of Humanitarian Technologies.
- Innovativeness and Novelty:
The project proposal must have some technology component aiming at the benefit of humanity.
- Project Impact:
The solution you provide must have a visible and significant impact on quality of life.
- Cost-effectiveness and applicability
Realistic project budget with all major breakdowns.
Proving applicability of the project by providing complete project timeline and achievable milestones.
- Sustainability of the project
The project should offer a sustainable solution to real community’s problem.
- Clarity in project demonstration
Clearly defined objective and scope of the project with an expected output.
Description of the technology used for the project.
The complete framework of the project demonstrating every step precisely.
Defining risk factors of the project and adopted strategies to overcome them.
Proposal Submission Guideline
- The project team may comprise of Students, Young Professionals, Women in Engineering, Professional/Senior Member and representative of the local community member.
- The project description should include the project title, problem description and proposed solution to the problem. The projects may include developing mobile apps and can also be hardware, computer or IoT based.
- The word limit for problem description is maximum 100 and the proposed solution is 300.
- The following information for project members, contact person and mentor need to be included:
• Full Name
• Organization/ Institution
• Full address
• Phone number
• Email address
Submit a short video clip: Project vision + Area where the project will be implemented (the beneficiaries). The video should be in English.
Online Application Form
Project Submission Deadline: 9 November, 2018
Notification of Acceptance: 15 November, 2018
Last Date of Registration: 20 November, 2018
Main Events: 14-16 December, 2018
Dusit Thani Hotel Pattaya, Chonburi, Thailand
• Up to 5 wining individual and team humanitarian projects each will receive a partial travel grant award ($100 each team) and will have the opportunity to be presented at the IEEE WIECON-ECE 2018 in Pattaya, Thailand (14-16 December 2018).
• Cash Prizes for the five winners: $300, $250, $200, $100, $100.
NOTE: All files (a PDF file of your project’s proposal, Youtube or Google Drive Link of your project video) should be submitted directly in the application form.